Friday 17 June 2011

introducing a fellow painter...

today i have a guest blog post! a first i think

i'm very pleased to introduce you to laura wright

Hi, my name is Laura Wright. I am a painter based on the South Downs, nr Brighton, UK. I take most of my inspiration from my immediate environment and/or coastal towns I have recently visited in UK, south of France and Andalucia, Spain. I usually visit Cassis in the south of France every summer and completed an artist’s residency in Competa, Andalucia which had a big impression on the colours I now use in most of my paintings. I am drawn to coasts and live on the South coast. I believe there is always a better quality of light.

The paintings below are the first three in the series I have been working on for the forthcoming show at Corte Real Gallery, Paderne, Portugal (starting 16th July) with artists: Sally Stafford and Beth Richardson. The colours are typically Mediterranean.

Sussex Townscape

Norfolk Coast

Cornish Coast


Working towards the exhibition at Corte Real has given me free rein on using these vibrant colours, which I often tone down for the UK market and tastes. I prefer to use bright bold hues - which doesn’t necessarily reflect the British landscape. My palette is predominantly made up of coeruleum blue, lemon and naples yellow, yellow ochre, cadmium red, and burnt sienna. I also use lots of zinc white and touches of Paynes grey. I finish the work with a gloss varnish to give a slight sheen and more vibrancy to the colours. The varnish also protects the paint which is quite dense - having been worked in layers. This, I think, is also a safeguard for long distance transportation.

I have so far made three of the six paintings (above) for the Corte real exhibition, these first three are all 61x61cm and I am in the early stages of the three larger canvases (100x100cm)
The images below are in the primary stages of two of the subsequent three large canvases of this series and they are also based on coastal views of UK, using a bright Mediterranean palette. I am organising a visit to the Corte Real Gallery to see this work en situ and take away some inspiration from the trip.




Early stages of Fowey Harbour (top) and Looe Harbour, acrylic on box canvas, 100x100cm


To see more of my work visit my website: www.laurawrightpaintings.com

thanks very much for this intro to your work laura...i hope we actually get to meet in portugal, sally x



No comments: